The mission of Squamish United Church is "To be an inclusive community serving God's world." As a church together we seek to love God and neighbour with all our heart, soul and mind. We hope this blog enriches you on your journey of life.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Sit Here While I Pray

Sit here while I pray.
The sorrow in my heart is so great,
it almost crushes me.
Stay here and keep watch with me.
Father, I have shown your glory on earth;
I have finished the work you gave me.
I have given my disciples your message
and the world ... it hated them.
Yet I don't pray
that they may be taken out of the world.
I pray that they may be kept from evil.

(snoring)
Sleeping Peter?
Can you not even keep awake for an hour?

Father, I pray not only for my friends,
but for all who believe their words.
I pray that they may be one,
just as you and I are one.
Father, the world does not know you.
but I know you and they know you.
So that the world may believe
that you sent me,
may they be one...may they be one.

(snoring)
Peter, keep watch and pray.
Don't be drawn by temptation.
The spirit is willing, but, oh, the flesh...
the flesh is weak.

Father, if it is possible...
if it is at all possible...
please take the cup of suffering from me...
take away this cup of suffering from me....
but let it not be what I want.
Let it be what you want.

(snoring)
Are you still sleeping?
Are you still taking your ease?
The hour has come for the Son of Man
to be handed over to sinful people.
Get up, let us go!
Look, here comes the one who is to betray me...


(Stages of the Way - Iona Community Wild Goose Worship Group)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on this post.